Penelope has lived her life until now as an army Leyland DAF T244
Our big beautiful girl currently weighs in at 5,400kgs and was a less than pretty army green (not for long, don’t worry), here’s a little more info on her;
- Date in service 1995
- Cummins 5.9ltr turbo diesel engine
- 145 bhp (she’ll be slow on steep hills)
- Max speed 89km/h (we got her to 55mph on the M56 the other day but 50 is more comfortable!)
- Permanent 4×4
- Hi-Lo ratio with diff lock
- Air brakes
- Power steering
- Seating for 2 + 1
- Cargo capacity of 5000 kgs
- Designed to cross a 0.5m trench, Ford at 0.6m
She cost us £10,000 in the end, and there were cheaper options (and more expensive of course) but we’re very happy with her condition so she was worth every penny.
She’s now a beautiful shade of Adventure Orange, she’s registered, MOT’d and insured, her cab looks like new and she’s had new lights and a new fuel tank, a roof rack, storage boxes and a fancy pants spare wheel carrier to name but a few. Take a look at her journey…
When we first met her…
The box being removed ready for her makeover…
From grim green…
To Adventure Orange!
The ‘Tiny House’ bit on the back…
For the most up to date progress on our build, check out our YouTube channel!
12 thoughts on “About Penelope”